Monday, April 17, 2006

Where Do You Want To Eat?

Dear Avid Reader,

So we all eat out. And before I get to my post, I need to expel a little guilt.

Here we are, America, arguing over where we are going to eat out, and people are starving elsewhere. I don't want to bring you down before I get to my post, but I want you to know that I struggled with the making of this post. Thank you, guilt expelled.


Something occurred to me while driving around looking for a place to eat with the wife. Now I don't care where we go, or at least I thought I didn't. But as my wife offered up suggestions I kept saying, "Naaaaahhhhh" or "Eh" or "Mmmmmm no". So obviously I DO care. So if I do care, what do I care about?

At first blush, you would think that food is the most important consideration. But as it turns out, that is not the case. You see, I always order the same things: hamburger, fajitas, or steak. I learned long ago that I don't need to try anything else.

Variety Is NOT The Spice Of Life

Every time someone convinces me to try the chicken pasta or the veal, I always eat it and say, "You know, this is alright, but I'd rather be eating a steak." Every time, period. Nothing is better than eating a hamburger, fajitas, or steak. And usually the table next to us has a guy eating a great big steak, with a HUGE smile on his face. And there I sit, eating taco salad or salmon, trying to suppress the urge to kill the man with the steak. My rage rising with each bite and each time the convincer says, "See, isn't this better than the steak?"

No. It's not. Ever.

This practice is a huge frustration to my wife, who could not imagine having the same thing twice in a week. "Here have a bite of this vegetable lasagna. It's great." I look up at her from my hamburger, confused. We've done this before. Why does she continually try to torture me? Why try and sully a palette that is swimming in hamburger?

"No thanks." I reply and return to my feast. But this isn't good enough.

"No really. It's good. Just a little," she insists. It's as if she thinks I've never had vegetable lasagna or seafood linguine or whatever sub-hamburger dish she has ordered. I've had other stuff before, it's how I know hamburgers are what I want. Trust me.

"I'll just have my hamburger, thanks." I say, hands reaching for the manly sandwich, mouth opening, preparing to receive the kingly delight.

"Honestly, how you can have the same thing over and over..." she trails off, lost in disgust.

She may not understand, but I do. And I've taken my eating habits and turned them into a lifestyle.

Mmmmm That Sounds Good...Or Does It?

I won't buy anything unless I know I'll like it. When it comes time to buy vegetable for the house, I won't buy lettuce because salad "sounds good". I know I won't eat it, the whole head will rot in the crisper. So I buy carrots because I know I will eat them because there is no prep time involved. Simple. You can call it "Hamburger Philosophy".

The same goes for furniture or clothes. I get nothing that "sounds good", whatever that means. I wear simple things, I sit in simple chairs, that's how we roll in this joint. Get your own joint if you disagree with the practices of this joint, which I happen to operate.

So now we are dressed and we know what we want, the question again, is where to go. Because I like the simpler fare of hamburgers and most hamburgers are the same, choosing becomes simpler. I mean you really can't surprise someone with super-creativity when it comes to meat and bread. This is of course except for Ruby Tuesday but I couldn't convince my wife to go there every time we go out even if there was one close to where I live.

"Ruby Tuesday again? Honestly how you can want to go the same place over and over..." she would say, falling over a cliff of repulsion.

The Perfect Dining Experience Minus The Dining

So when I can take food out of the equation, where do I want to eat? It comes down to comfort. I like a lots of space, cause I'm a large dude. So when the wife would bring up a place, I would think about the last time I was there and if I felt crowded or uncomfortable, I wouldn't want to go. I wouldn't even think about what I ate there.

Take our local Chinese place that I'll call Chinese Place. The wife LOVES it. It's got curry shrimp and she loves the stuff. But every time I go there, I feel out of place, or in the way. I think it's the lay-out. I know the food is good, even though it doesn't have hamburgers, but when I get there, I just feel like leaving. And here's the test: even if they did serve a steak or hamburger at Chinese Place, I wouldn't want to go.

I tired this test with a friend of mine. I asked him to tell me his favorite food. It was steak (You can see how we would be friends). And I asked him to tell me his least favorite restaurant, which was Restaurant X (I can't for the life of me remember what he said). I then asked him if he would eat a delicious steak in Restaurant X. He thought about it, and then said, "No". Once again, food was secondary to atmosphere.

I think this theory has legs. It really doesn't matter anymore what you serve, so long as the price and quality match up. Usually it does match up and the food is passable. So what matters the most now is the atmosphere. I think people would eat almost anything you got, so long as they're comfortable while doing it. Even if it wasn't a steak.

The Next Post Promises To Be Better,

James

12 Comments:

Blogger The Sheets said...

You still crack me up. Reading your blog reminds me of those great e-mails you sent me while I was in Italy. I'm sure everyone at the villa thought I was insane the way I laughed out loud at your correspondance.

I'm glad you checked out my blog.

I figure I'll call my son "G-Dawg". Or at least, that's what I'm telling people who ask. :)

I tried to e-mail you instead of posting on your blog, but I'm not sure my e-mail address for you is up-to-date. I guess I could try an "adult" Harding address, right?

Oh, and Hannah Dixon (she of the famous calves) also has a blog.

www.dixonvixon.blogspot.com

Cheers, James,
-Daisha

6:40 PM  
Blogger The Sheets said...

Sorry, Hannah's Blog is:
http://www.arkansasdixon.blogspot.com/

-Daisha

6:52 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Bocks -- you do, indeed, rock. Even if you attempted to dislocate my shoulder once on the Benson stage.

I'm glad it sounds like all is going well for you, even if your wife is trying to force you to eat crappy vegetable lasagne.

-Tiffany Y.

6:58 PM  
Blogger James said...

D-Dawg: Yeah, I checked Dixon's blog after yours. I already got you on my links page.

Yecke: I say Lasagna, you say Lasagne. Let's call the whole thing off.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. W,
You need to forget about the steaks and burgers. EAT CHICKEN.
The Chicken Guy

1:22 PM  
Blogger Clarice said...

I concur with atmosphere being extreemly important. For example, I love the food at Ryan's, not the buffet crap but the good food they make in the back; it is good stuff. However, I absolutely hate the atmosphere: the smoke, the people, the buffet. I hate it. If they had a drive through I'd eat there once a week.

In addition get take out from the Chinese place. It is cheaper, you get more food, and you can eat on your couch in your underwear. Everyone could be happy.

7:32 PM  
Blogger The Sheets said...

Bocks-- Thanks for linking my blog. However, I never remember to post on that one. (except for the other night to get a picture to where I could put it on my combined blog with JR)

The blog I will be updating is:
www.jranddaisha.blogspot.com

D

8:12 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Yo Bocks! Glad to see you're still alive and kickin'. I hope my calves are no longer a family sore spot. Measuring stick. Whatever you want to call 'em.

I totally agree that atmosphere plays a huge role in the enjoyability of an eating establishment. But I would have to say that a place can have all the blessings of a killer atmosphere, yet serve subpar food. Thus rendering the atmosphere a little less agreeable. Nes pas?

And as a general rule, I too, order the same thing everytime. I'm not quite as limited, perhaps, as yourself. But I find my favorite dish at a restaurant and stick with it. Until they cancel it. Dang you Macaroni Grill!!!

2:34 PM  
Blogger The Root said...

Atmosphere is totally the most important element in the "dining out" equation.
For goodness sake, I live in New York, alright (well, Vegas right now, but follow me anyway...). And the phrase always goes, concerning New York dining: "Smaller portions, richer quality". Which, I must admit, I have found to be true.
But, I don't care what the quality is if the decor is neon orange and flourescent lights are blinding me from lamps hanging down so low over the table that you can't see the person you're at dinner with!
You know what I want? Dark woods. Low light. Comfortable seating, preferably adaptable so I can sit NEXT to my wife instead of across from her. And attentive, friendly service. If you give me all of that, I just may order the vegetable lasagna.

But, I'll probably still go with the steak. Who am I kidding?

3:21 PM  
Blogger John Batchelder said...

I eat out way too much.

I tend to fixate on certain places that I know are good and usually am up for a repeat if a dish is tasty and satisfying.

One of my favorite places to eat when I'm by myself is a place called Ho Ho Gormet in SLC. It's a true dive a la Hong Kong and generally I'm the only Anglo in the place.

The food is good (and sometimes unusual) and I get a kick out of watching big extended families eating together and ordering deep fried whole Rod Cod or salt baked sonmething or other.

I usually enjoy a bowl of wonton soup and some dim sum. I learned the first time to be very clear about how to order dim sum. I thought ordered four pieces of shrimp and four of pork. The waiter (I always get the same one) brought out four orders of each (four pieces on an order). Needless to say I brought some to the hotel room and ate dim sum leftovers all week.

The real question is how I ever got to Ho Ho Gormet in the first place. Or Outback, TGI Fridays, Applebees, Chipotle, Carrabas, Johnny Carinos, Olive Garden, Docs Grill, Coltons, or Los Montanos.

I think it is one of three options

1) Someone ate there and loved it
2) I was ready for a change
3) It was the only place that was open

I had a #1 experience lately with Crown Burger in SLC. They make huge burgers topped with pastrami.

I heard about it from a fellow airling passenger and tried it with my wife and son. They were not as impressed as I but struggled through.

Dr Worm -
I'm always ready to fire up the grill for some BDBs and Ladds sausage as long as I can grill some eggplant and veggies for the little lady!
DJWB

4:33 AM  
Blogger Clarice said...

You are done with school; you don't really work. There is no reason for you to never post. Get it together. I expect more from you with all your knowledge from that so called "Degree."

11:11 PM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

How about Doc's on Saturday?

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home