Monday, December 12, 2005

Hyperbolic Dilemma

Dear Avid Reader,

I hate people to death. I hate when they always use the hyperbole like a million times. I makes me want to literally kill someone and then burn the body and then stomp on the burnt up ashes. I will blow up a building full of children the next time I hear someone exaggerate something for emphasis.

I believe we, as a nation, have plumbed the depth of comedic exaggeration. Saying the words "it makes me feel like" and then adding some horrific scene has become trite.

It's as if we have diluted the strength of the original formula. Sure back when it was first used it was funny. But I have heard so many disproportionate responses to everyday nuisances that they have lost all meaning.

While we are on the subject of overuse, how about this word: stress.

I'm so stressed. I've been stressed. She's under a lot of stress. Enough with the stress. The term stress has become an excuse, a catch-all for not performing at an optimum. Everyone has a list of things that they are dealing with, so let's just assume that everyone is feeling anxious about those things. Stop telling me that you or someone else is stressed. If you are stressed, then maybe you aren't cut out to handle life. Move somewhere where there is less life to deal with.

Toughen up!

Another word that I would rather not hear is denigrate. Who made this fashionable? It's an unnecessary word. It's a gaudy vocabulary flourish. Instead of "I don't mean to denigrate you" just say "I don't mean to insult you".

Anyway, that's what's been bothering me.

I feel like Andy Rooney.

My tagline had never been as necessary as it has today.

The Next Post Promises To Be Better,

James

3 Comments:

Blogger Clarice said...

I think you are awesome. Love the post.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Trey Laminack said...

you feel like andy rooney but you sound more like george carlin.

good stuff

7:21 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

nice post AC Unit. it makes me feel like good things, like tinsel, or like cookies.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home