Wednesday, November 16, 2005

On Being The Undisputed Champion

Dear Avid Reader,

There has been a culmination of things in my mind. First we have "Chicken Little". Then we have the "World Series of Poker". Lastly, we have Charles Peirce.

What do they all have in common? Simple: Politics.

What In The Heck Are You Talking About?

Often, I hear that America is not long for this world. People decry that America will no longer be the number one super-power in the world. Soon, Washington will be in flames and somehow an entire nation will be wiped from the globe. This is the Chicken Little I was telling you about.

This is all because America is viewed as an empire. Empires typically start, rise, and conquer all the nations around them. Then they become the epicenter of trade, thought, and everything. Finally they become to proud, have a period of infighting, and then are destroyed by enemies. This would work except for one thing: America isn't an empire.

America has become something of an oddity. We practice cultural imperialism. Our Boy Bands can beat up your Boy Bands, DANG IT! Everyone loves "Everyone Loves Raymond". Who hasn't seen Pulp Fiction, or Titanic, or E.T., or Star Trek?

But we aren't forcing the world to buy our products. We in America live our lives and the rest of the world pays to watch. Just because everyone likes it doesn't mean that we are conquerors. It just means that we are good at what we do.

But we are on top. We have the most, we produce the most, we're number one, by golly. Everything is coming up roses here in America. But we aren't the only ones doing what we do. Lots of countries have free-markets and representative governments. What if someone steals the number one spot?

A Peasant Sits On The Throne

At this point, I'd like to go on a tangent and then come back. I was watching the World Series of Poker. For the uninitiated, this is an annual poker tournament held in Las Vegas. It has been going on for some 30 or 40 years. It has grown from a few participants to a player pool of thousands. Anyone can enter. It is this egalitarianism that makes the World Series so enjoyable. A professional, world-class player can win or a nobody can win. This year a nobody won. A nobody from Australia, Joseph Hachem.

Now, in the past, I feel as though most Americans would be upset because a non-American won an American event. But even if that wasn't the feeling in the past, it certainly isn't the feeling here in the present. The same is true in the America's Cup. America held the boating title for 113 years until they lost in 1983...To Australia.

You know, I'm starting to hate Australia.

Freaking imperialists.

I Can't Lose What I Don't Put In The Middle

When we've lost these titles, no one has come out screaming that everything must be done to win because America's pride has been diminished. Rather, we say "good game" and we prepare for the next meeting. It would seem that we lack the hubris for a downfall.

Some would say that I am underestimating the ego of America. But I think those detractors are overestimating the toughness of America. I'll explain this in a round about way.

If we were actually an empire, we'd be out taking over countries. This would be to show how great a nation we are. We'd try everything in our power to control everything to secure that we are number one.

Instead, we've "gone all in" behind one brand of philosophy: pragmatism. Pragmatism is the only truly American philosophy. We invented it. It states that something can only be true if it works over a long period of time for the whole of humankind.

We in America have seen what happens when you run around taking countries over. Just like in Risk, you spread your armies to thin and you are left open to attackers.

If you put the choice to Americans, "would you rather America be in control of all of North America, or would you rather have a new iPod", they'd take the iPod.

This is where the argument of toughness comes in. I believe that Americans would rather have 100 more channels of cable than be a citizen of the most powerful nation in history.

The Redcoats Are Coming! The Red Coats Are Coming!

Right now it is in vogue to be afraid of China. Now, first, let me say that I think China and India emerging into the global economy is good. The free-market economist always will. He'll say competition is beneficial to everyone: customers, companies, government, education, everything.

So China emerging is a good thing. And personally, I think America always operates better when there is someone to play against. First it was Britain, then Germany, then Russia, then Japan, now China. Don't we always win these things?

Sorry, you know me, the egotistical American.

But let's say that we didn't win. Let's say China becomes the number one nation in terms of productivity, GNP, GDP, wealth per citizen, whatever. Does that mean America is suddenly the worst country in the world?

No.

There's no way we are falling past five or six. America will still have DSL internet right? We'll still have 30-screen-multiplexes with stadium seating right? We'll still have McD on every corner right? So what's the big deal.
In a sense, America's identity isn't wrapped up in where we are ranked. Our identity is wrapped up in our "way of life". America cares so little about what happens outside of their town that losing the "title" will hardly affect them. Just give them their distractions and they'll be fine

(That last line may have been a little too cynical, but hey, it's the truth)

I say let China run the world for awhile. Let's see how they like a bunch of Euros griping about everything. I can't wait to have France off our backs. Let's see how China likes getting their buildings blown up. I for one welcome the vacation. Let's put a big banner over the earth that reads: GRAND RE-OPENING! UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT!

They can't do any worse of a job than we have.


The Next Post Promises To Be Better,

James

4 Comments:

Blogger John Batchelder said...

The only problem I have with letting China run the world is chopsticks. I personally like to use them but I know many people who would hava a tough time. I wouldn't really like having to re-tool my whole life as in going to Micky DoJo's instead of Micky Dee's - I happen to like sushi and other forms of a healthy diet but I would have a hard time with the tools of the trade. You see, I'm a conservative who also happens to have some conservationist roots. I believe in free trade and free markets but I also don't want to kill all the elephants or walruses to harvest the required ivory to make all those chopsticks. Yeah Yeah bamboo is fine but I also am an American - I like the good stuff! I'm sure some innovative enterprising yahoo with a great idea would make millions coming up with a new cermaic chopstick or one made from recycled soy protein.
"Look Mommie you can eat it when you are done eating with it"

Let's get practical here (I knew you would like that) I use a fork when I'm eating a chicken fried steak in Texas, I use chopsticks when I'm eating sushi, and I use my hands when ever I need to peel back some boiled shrimp or crawfish and I may even use a mallet to crack blue crabs up in Maryland. Life is great. If China is such a threat why don't they even have a Chipotle? I

No my friend - I prefer America to be on top. We have the best snacks.

3:48 PM  
Blogger James said...

You don't want China to be in charge because of snack food, eh?

Your arguement simultaneously proves my assumption and disagrees with it.

You have skills my friend.

:-)

3:56 PM  
Blogger Trey Laminack said...

I think chopsticks should stop being used. Why? The Fork. It's not like people are still using the telegraph anymore. Why? The email. Chopsticks are outdated technology. Anyone caught using them should be dyed blue and moved Las Vegas to do a show.

4:33 PM  
Blogger John Batchelder said...

I heard today in a business meeting that China is getting "green" prior to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. This is the ultimate example of how someting as seemingly mundane as sporting competition (read "economic opportunity")can change the environmental position of a whole country.

The Games do count!

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home