Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I Can't Make It Today...I'm Sick

Dear Avid Reader,

Today I am sick. Really, it's no lie. I was sick yesterday, but I didn't realize it until the day was half over. So I called in and I am feeling better today.

Thanks for asking.

As I was sitting at home recuperating, I realized that sick days are a strange thing. The TV is different, you eat different things, you are somewhere other than work or school. But here's the really strange part: sick days are always the same. You always get the same drinks, same food, watch generally the same kind of TV. You call it your "sick food" or "sick drinks". When you are at home recuperating, you fall into a different schedule/habit. It's your sick day schedule.

So I began to think of sick days as a place that you visit. A different universe filled with talk shows, reruns, and soup. It's a place where you are quiet, alone, and focusing your energies on healing. A temple of meditation if you will.

But you never come upon this place by looking for it. Your body has to decide that you must take a break form the regular universe and visit this other one. You're walking along, minding your own business, the suddenly, BOOM! You're at home, alone, fluids all around.

Fluids are very important in this universe you know.

You Know That Icky Taste In Your Throat After You're Sick

My time here took a dark turn. You see, I became dependent on this shadow reality. I went to let the cats in and looked outside. It was cloudy and ominous. I was scared and didn't want to take a step out into it. I shriveled back into my private world, afraid to confront the problems of the real one.

But I tire of this place. I want to rejoin the living and be useful again. I fight my illness, determined to break through the coffin of Gatorade and blankets that is around me. I know that this sick universe is only temporary. Created for me to escape to and then escape from in a moment.

That and I want a cheeseburger and I'd feel guilty eating one when I'm supposed to be "ill".

The Next Post Promises To Be Better,

James

3 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Feel better soon!

7:40 PM  
Blogger John Batchelder said...

You need to remind the readers of one very important part of being sick. It's the so-called OTC medicine that is sold to conquer most any ailment. Have you ever noticed that all meds tast like the bark from a tree in the rain forest? These potions while not unlike the roots and preparations used by early man, have a neater package and more sterile look and feel - the "caplet" and "gel-coated soft tab" but have the same characteristic bad taste. These are designed not to cure you on their own but to convince you to get better so you don't have to take them any more. Even Nyquil which was the preferred recipe for anything short of a broken bone is flawed. While it may have a high concentration of alcohol and powerful sleep-inducing components, it leaves you with the NQ hangover side effect. And lets not even get into the cost differential between name brand and generics...

No, being sick is never worth the hassle. And the meds created to "cure" the illness are merely made to discourage illness and to prompt you to get back to work.

Be well EG
DJWB

6:07 AM  
Blogger The Root said...

Hot Totty:
1 Part Steaming Hot Water
1 Part Whiskey

breathe in for 2 minutes, then sip
It'll cure what ails ya.

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home